1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Net Neutrality Repeal - Effect on Crypto?

Discussion in 'General Off-topic' started by Yankee Ruin X, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Yankee Ruin X

Yankee Ruin X Well-Known Member Staff Member

So I was reading this article on the proposal to remove net neutrality:

http://mashable.com/2017/11/21/net-neutrality-repeal-ajit-pai-op-ed/#TGvgco5a_iqR

If you aren't familiar on what Net Neutrality is then in a nutshell it is a law that stops ISPs from throttling speeds or stopping access to certain sites and they have to treat all traffic as equal. Basically they are trying to repeal the law and the FCC chairman seems to be in full support of doings so. This could be very bad as then it opens the floodgates to allow ISP to start charging more if you want to watch Netflix or Youtube. Could you imagine having to pick out an internet package like you do for TV?
    [​IMG]
    Anyway what I was wondering is IF this were to happen which I hope to god it doesn't, how would this effect Crypto? Would they be able to start charging you if you wanted to mine a coin? Could they throttle speeds on transactions if you do not have the Crypto package on your bundle?

2. Tristan

Tristan Member

If this were to happen, I really wonder how long it would remain in place....There is no way people would allow it for long.

As for the crypto impact, would they lump it in with bittorrent traffic somehow? It would certainly hurt the crypto mining in this country.

3. kaelan

kaelan Member

Seriously, this law is cancer. This shows how broken is the internet at the moment and how it needs to be rebuild through blockchain and decentralised services

4. enervey

enervey Member

The change is bad, but the extra-bad part is they keep calling it the "internet freedom act" as if it would actually help citizens. It's a terrible idea and I can't believe one guy has this much control over what is basically a utility.

5. trannam

trannam Member

I don't think mining requires much bandwidth, a normal connection will suffice