Mac computers_XBY wallet_private key_startguide?

Discussion in 'Wallets' started by Avontuur, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Avontuur

Avontuur New Member

Hi guys,
    I download all the related wallets of the coins I bought on exchanges, and now I am searching in each wallet for a private key and so on. I wanted to transfer progressively my coins that I have now in online wallets on exchanges into wallets on my computer. I got 2 old computers, so in case one crashes, that at least I can recover my wallets.
    Question 1: I just downloaded the XBY Mac wallet. I don't see the icon of the wallet popping up in my screen when I search in the list of 'Programs' on my computer. All other wallets of other ALT-coins have an icon there when I downloaded them... Is it normal that XBY does not have that icon directly in my programms list? Where can I find it? Right now, it/the icon is in my menu bar on the bottom of my screen , but when I close it, it is 'gone', and not traceable anymore in my programs list. Do I have to 'download' that wallet (.dmg file) from the website with my computer every time I want to check my wallet? Does that wallet recognizes and 'syncs' with my computer and gives me 'my' wallet after opening it? I honestly don't even know whether that is possible...
    Question 2: Right now, I am making a backup of my wallets, by dragging the icon of the wallet from my program list to my external disk. I honestly don't know whether that is 'ok' or still has the risk of loosing my wallet if my computer would crash. For the XBY wallet, I copied the .dmg file to a nice XBY file on my external disk, and also placed a .dat backup there. Ok?
    Question 3: I got 2 old Mac's of 7 years old (Macbook Pro and MacAir)... Right now, I use my Macbook Pro for the wallet stuff. I also want my wallet on my MacAir installed... Also a good exercise to check whether I can recover my wallets with my MacAir in case my Macbook would crash. I guess I need the private and public key pair... Where can I find it? Under the tab of 'Register static node'? Is there any seed code?
    Question 4: I saw a previous post about 'how to make a paper wallet'. https://paperwallet.xtrabytes.global/#
    Sounded a good idea to me also to have stored somewhere (eg: in a safe in the bank) my 'paper recovery' wallet versions in case my house would burn down resulting in the fact my external disk and computers would be burned, that at least I can recover my wallets. So, I experimented first a bit (and created a new 'single' wallet address with a private and public key)... Than I decided that I'd better create a paper wallet corresponding to the desktop wallet that I had downloaded... I followed the instructions in that post, and with 'dumpprivkey XBYWALLETADRESS', in the screen there popped up 'invalid Xtrabytes address (code-5)'... In the tab, they also ask my 'WIF private key', I filled in the Static private key, but that does not seem to be the one wanted, so I did not succeed in creating a paper wallet with my key pair on it that is related to my desktop wallet... Would be great if anyone could give me instructions on this matter! Thanks in front.

2. Avontuur

Avontuur New Member

Ok, guys, meanwhile (before anyone answered), I've had an evening to find out more, and to progress a bit... So, I gonne share what I discovered, and answer on my own 'dummy' questions :)
    Answer on Question 1: Just drag the icon of Xtrabytes from your download map (after opening the .dmg file) into your Applications (=in Dutch 'Programms') map, and than you have it in that Applications map.
    Answer on Question 2 & 3: As far as I found out with all these 'desktop' wallets, they don't have a private key that I can find... I found an article (https://blockgeeks.com/guides/cryptocurrency-wallet-guide/) in which is stated that desktop wallets offer one of the highest levels of security however if your computer is hacked or gets a virus there is the possibility that you may lose all your funds. In this forum is explained that the backup usually contains the private key of your desktop wallet: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1962386.0
    So, I should focus on 'making backups' of my desktop wallets...
    Concerning the paper wallet: The best explanation I could find online, with a youtube demonstration video, was that one on the Komodo website. I personally prefer a cold storage wallet, but as a starter, I'll have to try out for certain coins the paper wallet stuff. Would be interesting if Xbytes also can place a tutorial video on the website of 'how to make a paper wallet'. I hope that Xtrabytes in the future also gets a Ledger wallet option.
    Concerning a paper wallet with the same desktop wallet address: I got the impression this is not possible. If you want your coins stored for longer time on a paper wallet, you should make a paper wallet which has a new receiving address, and send your coins from your desktop wallet (or exchange wallet) to that receiving address on your paper wallet. If you want to recover the coins from your paper wallet, you need to import your paper wallet in your desktop wallet. So, there is no paper wallet that you can make online with the same send and receive address as your desktop wallet.
    Well, all questions solved by myself! :) I'm learning...

3. fish313

fish313 Well-Known Member Staff Member

haha, good to hear!!

Avontuur likes this.
  4. Avontuur

Avontuur New Member