Tutorial How to install the wallet software (Windows)

Discussion in 'Manuals / Tutorials' started by XTRABYTES, Nov 4, 2017.

1. molten

molten Well-Known Member Staff Member

Xtrabytes and XFUEL are two different coins. XFUEL is at the moment mostly used to pay developers, and as a reward for various contributions to the project.

To use Xtrabytes you only need the Xtrabytes wallet.

2. jamie

jamie New Member

everytime my norton is deleting the wallet, anyone has this problem?

3. molten

This is due to the old built in miner software that was necessary when XBY was a mineable coin. That part is not being used any more and will be removed in a future update.

Until this update gets released, you have to add an exception in your antivirus software.
    Try this: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-exclusions-norton-antivirus-61906.html

If it doesn't work, do a google search for 'your_antivirus_software_name antivirus how to add exception'

4. GibsBytes

GibsBytes Member

Thank you for this tutorial, helped me a lot to install the wallet for both (Xtrabytes and XFuel)

5. molten

6. Forgemark

Forgemark New Member

I've a problem with xfuel wallet. Trying to install, a file called "bitcoinminer" is quarantined by my antivirus software. The name of the file makes me somewhat hesitant to install. I have the XBY wallet which installed without any issues. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

7. molten

This is due to the old built in miner software that was necessary when XBY was a mineable coin. That part is not being used any more and will be removed in a future update.

Until this update gets released, you have to add an exception in your antivirus software. The update should not be too far away now.

8. Devin

Devin New Member

My wallet downloaded but is say out of sync. How do I sync my wallet?

9. Drazer

Drazer Member

Very easy in fact, would be nice to include as well an uninstall also

10. Kambi

Kambi Member

Just leave it opened for a while and the wallet will synchronise automatically.

11. Silvercaveman

Silvercaveman Member

I followed the instructions in the OP, which seems to work fine. I had a hard drive failure on my computer and managed to salvage the wallet.dat file, but not sure where is the correct place to put it for when I re-download the whole blockchain? I had Windows 8 and now using Windows 10, if that's of any relevant assistance...

12. fish313

fish313 Well-Known Member Staff Member

The default is ’C:\Users\your_windows_user_name\AppData\Roaming\xtrabytes’

upload_2017-12-22_19-15-0.png

Swap out the empty wallet.dat for the wallet.dat file that has your coins. Make sure to make a copy of it beforehand.

You can check out this tutorial if you like:
    https://community.xtrabytes.global/...-restore-a-backup-of-your-wallet-windows.272/

Hope that helps!

13. andod007

andod007 New Member

What is the point in following step 3-8? I was able to restore my wallet using only the wallet.dat file. The full blockchain needed syncing of course that took an hour or more.

14. mewtt

mewtt New Member

What am I doing wrong?

It's been a pain in the ass trying to trust/exclude the wallet in general before norton kills it, after that, I finally got it open and sync'd, but when I try to do step 8 with the "-datadir=data" portion, it keeps telling me the target location doesn't exist etc.

Any thoughts?

edit: also, from github, should we not be using it? Is the wallet secure?

"XTRABYTES V1.3.0.0 Windows-Linux-OSX PreRelease are unfinished and highly experimental. Use at your own risk. Remember to backup your wallet and private keys before using it!"

15. Niklasmato

Niklasmato Member

Hi Mewtt,

Step 8 is not really needed and is only needed if your data directory isn't the default one eg (c:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Xtrabytes/) .. if you would ever want to replace this directory with another one then you will need to add the step 8, but as said before, it's not really needed.

Xtrabytes v1.3 is the latest official release and is available on GitHub. The warning is there just to remind you to take a backup of your wallet.dat and your private keys.

mewtt and fish313 like this.
  16. mewtt

mewtt New Member

Thanks for replying! The only other real question I had, was regarding the actual seed phrase/password method.

Since there is no seed phrase, all you can do is encrypt the wallet and back up the wallet.dat, correct? So unless you move them from the xtrabytes wallet to another one, there's no way you could "recover" those xtrabytes with another wallet that uses seed phrases etc?

17. fish313

Correct, you want the wallet.dat file. Or the private key.

Here are a couple posts that should help:

https://support.xtrabytes.global/hc...w-to-make-and-restore-a-backup-of-your-wallet

https://support.xtrabytes.global/hc/en-us/articles/360000065752-How-to-export-import-private-keys

mewtt likes this.
  18. CoingetterD

CoingetterD Member

My wallet is out of sync it was synchroning but ever since it hit 36900 it started going up like it' on 36916 blocks remaining ??

19. fish313

@CoingetterD

Can you please go to our Support Desk and submit a ticket?

https://support.xtrabytes.global/hc/en-us

Someone from tech support will be able to help you fairly quickly that way.

20. Supreme

Supreme Administrator Staff Member