Tutorial How to install the wallet software (Windows)

Discussion in 'Manuals / Tutorials' started by XTRABYTES, Nov 4, 2017.

1. XTRABYTES

XTRABYTES Well-Known Member

How to install the wallet software (Windows)

This tutorial will explain how to install the wallet software in Windows and help you select a location for data storage. Since the blockchain will grow with time, select a location with lots of free space.

Step 1

Go to https://www.xtrabytes.global/#wallet and download the latest wallet software for Windows

wallet_download.jpg

Step 2
    Find a suitable location on your hard drive and create a folder for the software and data storage (I’m going to use C:\xtrabytes for this tutorial)

Step 3
    Inside the newly created folder, make another folder and rename it to ’data’.

This is where the blockchain and your ’wallet.dat’ file will be stored. (For this tutorial - C:\xtrabytes\data)

Step 4
    Move the wallet software to the main folder.

Step 6
    Right click the wallet software and click Create Shortcut.

Step 7
    Right click the new shortcut and go into Properties. Make sure you are in the ’Shortcut’ tab.

Step 8

In the Target box, add the line ’-datadir=data’ after the .exe file.

Make sure there is a space between them. You end up with something looking like this.

target_path.jpg

Click Ok, then rename the shortcut to ’Xtrabytes’.

Step 9
    Start the wallet software using the shortcut ’Xtrabytes’. Wait for the software to connect to the network and start synchronizing the blockchain. Once it is fully synchronized, the wallet is ready for use. If the synchronization stops for a longer period, restart the wallet software.

Notes
    It is highly recommended that you set a password to keep your wallet safe. This is explained in more detail in the tutorial How to encrypt your wallet. To learn how to use the wallet, see the tutorial How to use the Xtrabytes wallet software

The shortcut can be moved to your desktop or any place you like. However, leave the wallet software and data folder where they are. The reason we have made this shortcut is so you can select where to store the blockchain and ’wallet.dat file’. The default directory in your windows drive is difficult to find and takes up too much space on your windows disk.

Credits: molten

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
    jcpbs, web31 and Supreme like this.
  2. Upspwnage

Upspwnage Member

Worked flawlessly. TY

fish313 likes this.
  3. ByteMe

ByteMe Member

I read one or two posts a while back (probably on bitcointalk, can't find them now) saying that the wallet, at that time anyway, was still not 100% tested and ready. Can anyone confirm if that is no longer the case? I'm not keen on leaving coins on exchanges, especially when they are ones i intend to hold long term.

4. dikiy

dikiy New Member

How to move a purse from one computer on another?

5. fish313

fish313 Well-Known Member Staff Member

The only file you need to worry about is wallet.dat (location dependent on operating system). If you copy that one file (the wallet.dat) to another computer (or to a secure backup), you will have access to your XBY and address book. Place the copied wallet.dat file in the new computer (in the correct file location)

This only applies to your money and address book. If you only copy the wallet.dat, you will need to re-download the entire block chain on the other computer (so you may want to copy the other files too, but it is not necessary).

I have done this with XBY wallet.dat files and it has worked perfectly! There are other ways, such as setting up multiple wallets and having the client redirect to each one. If you have anymore questions, please ask!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  6. fish313

Hi! The wallets are fully tested, but have experimental features (such as testnet and STATIC node registry) I believe that those features have no bearing on the coins in your wallet. It is always safer to keep your coins in a wallet over an exchange, especially if you are not going to trade them any time soon. I have kept XBY in various wallets on multiple PC's since April and have never had any issues. Hope that helps!

7. ByteMe

ByteMe Member

Nice one, that was probably it. I had a look for the posts but couldn't find them. Thanks. Totally agree regarding the exchange, which is why i asked. I'm keen to get them off.

8. ekosaputro

ekosaputro Member

Great turtorial easy to understand it

fish313 likes this.
  9. fish313

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

10. Ste3001

Ste3001 Member

11. MrGoodsmell

MrGoodsmell New Member

Do you plan to make online wallet as well?

12. MrGoodsmell

MrGoodsmell New Member

Oh and how safe is it to keep your coins on exchange? Do all of you use wallets?

13. Dirty_Punk

Dirty_Punk Member

Great, thanks! This week I will move al my xby to local wallet thanks to you!!!

14. jcpbs

jcpbs Member

It is always safer to keep your coins in the computer wallet. Exchanges might get hacked, closed down, etc and you may loose your hard earned coins. Only leave a set amount of coins, at any given time, in the exchange if you plan on trading/selling/buying.

Regarding the online wallet (android, iOS), I believe it will be something that will be created in the future. We do have a paper wallet at https://paperwallet.xtrabytes.global

15. MrGoodsmell

MrGoodsmell New Member

Tnx, appreciate the answer. Will move them to wallet then :)

16. cryptosamuri

cryptosamuri New Member

done and done thank you for the easy instruction

17. sporty

sporty Member

Easy to follow tutorial, thanks.

18. Sundego

Sundego Member

Very easy. Thanks for the guide. By far one of the easiest wallets/guides I've personally used across any coin.

19. sporty

sporty Member

XFUEL Wallet
    Any ideas why i'm getting "Assertion Failed" when syncing my xfuel wallet. Stops at 22 hours then this,"Assertion Failed" pops up?

20. cammie16

cammie16 Member

Hello. Noob question is there a difference between xby and xfuel wallet? I downloaded first the xfuel wallet. Do I still need to download xby wallet? Im confuse why it needs 2 wallets?