Video How to Export and Import Wallet Address Private keys

Discussion in 'Manuals / Tutorials' started by XTRABYTES, Nov 3, 2017.

1. jcpbs

jcpbs Member

First, Always backup your wallet.dat. Always !!

Once you have backed up your wallet.dat, you can try this. Delete all files in the %appdata% folder except the wallet.dat. If it doesnt work then try this also:
    xfuel.exe -salvagewallet option: this attempts to recover and dump the private keys from the wallet.
    salvage.png
    Or you can check this out:
    https://github.com/lionzeye/reddcointools. Even thought it says reddcointools, it should work. You only need the dbdump.py (which I have attached, unzip it).
    You also need to install python: https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
    Run the wallet like this: xfuel.exe --detachdb
    There are other files there, you could try them if the dbdump.py does not work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. webwakko

webwakko Member

This is a way I did not try before.. i'll try it and come back with the answer if it worked or not.
    But the explanation for that last part .. after" or you can check this out"...
    What are you supposed to do with this tool and the DB file?

3. webwakko

webwakko Member

ok.. when trying the first -salvagewallet thingie I get cannot initialize keypool.. should I be worried ? :)

4. jcpbs

jcpbs Member

Try with -rescan first.

Regarding the tools: Basically its a tool or tools created to recover damaged wallet.dat files. I never used it but I know people that used it with some success.

5. cryptosamuri

cryptosamuri New Member

Thank you very much for this, most coins don't even hint at this, thank goodness you look out for community, because this is the first most important thing i do before ever even thinking about sending money to a wallet

6. sporty

sporty Member

Very helpful for newbies

7. webwakko

webwakko Member

It seems you cannot use -salvagewallet on wallets that are password encrypted.

8. gorut

gorut New Member

Hi, I'm still a beginner. I exported my wallet address private key and saved wallet.bat (original) on usb drive. Then I deleted the original wallet.bat file on the computer. Later i imported the private key again to the XBY wallet and restarted the wallet. The address was there, but the balance was 0, although I have some coins on that address. Only after i copied the original wallet.bat back in the wallet directory was the balance showing the correct amount.
    Should not just importing the private key show the balance on that address? Could this have implications for paper wallets, when I import the private key and it shows balance 0? Or am I doing it wrong?

9. webwakko

webwakko Member

Hey, you must be referring to the wallet.DAT file ;)
    And when you re-install, you also create a brand new wallet file, when you import your private key from the old wallet, you need to wait untill this is fully synced before you'll see the balance.
    But you can also just overwrite the new wallet.dat file with your backup, because that one has already a lot of blocks loaded from the blockchain.. and then there is no need to import the address because it's already in there.
    So in short :
    - re-install and overwrite wallet.dat file
    or
    - re-install and import private key and wait for full blocksync to see all transactions to that address.

note: when installing a new wallet, you'll also have a second (new) address in it... but there's also the possibility (in case you would need a second address) to create a second one in your old wallet file..

gorut likes this.
  10. gorut

gorut New Member

Webwakko, thank you for the quick response. Both options working perfectly.

webwakko likes this.
  11. webwakko

webwakko Member

your welcome mate.. glad I could help ;)

12. nickdegre

nickdegre Member

Guys whenever i create a paperwallet which has been encypted with the BIP38, i can't get it imported in the qt

Returns me an error "  Invalid private key (code -5) "

The unencypted ones work just fine
    Am i missing something here?

13. San Qi

San Qi New Member

FDJgKYrPeT4TsofojxwKTwf6yfTGh2PWNz

14. Crypto&Banter

Crypto&Banter New Member

Hi guys, noob question here. If I were to import from a paper wallet would I follow the same steps in regard to the "importprivkey" part of the video?

Cheers :)

15. Jamo

Jamo Member

Yes, I believe that's correct. Try it out!

16. TakeSR20

TakeSR20 New Member

Interesting and really clear video on how to do it.
    I get Private key for address BGE4fuiEngosSL4uB55SjXXXXXXXXXXX is not known (code -4).
    My computer had to be formated completely. I know which address I had, the amount of XBY I had and the password for the wallet. Is there a way to recover this? Is there any dev member here to help on this?

17. Jamo

Jamo Member

What do you mean by "password for the wallet"? If you have the private key, or the wallet.dat file, you can restore the wallet.

18. fish313

fish313 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I think he means the password to unlock the wallet

19. fish313

fish313 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Are you on Windows? Do you have a copy of the wallet.dat file or the private key?

https://community.xtrabytes.global/...-restore-a-backup-of-your-wallet-windows.272/

20. TakeSR20

TakeSR20 New Member

The password to unlock the wallet.
    Correct, that one.
    No wallet.dat or private key unfortunately :(
    But I have my complete address, XBY amount and transaction date. I guess on network can be seen those parameters by devs to see is legit.