Cannot access old storage wallet

1. Eirik
    March 16, 2018 at 08:47
    Hello,
    I recently decided I'd check how much my XBY is worth. I believe I purchased around 2k on Yobit over a year ago for less than pennies and I wanted to access them.
    I keep all wallet backups by simply saving the private keys in a text notepad, putting the text notepad onto a bitlocker encrypted drive and then storing that bitlocker encrypted drive on a few online file backup locations like google drive.
    Today I decided I'd check on my XBY, so I downloaded the new wallet, and tried to import my private key.
    Problem is doing so from the console gives the following error:
    Error adding key to wallet (code -4)

It does however add the following address: BDVteoM4zsJ4apGmLYJSb4L69U1jUe3zgG

But I can't search this wallet in any block explorer and it doesn't show anything in the windows wallet. Can anyone help me or does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or if it's recoverable at all and my private key is just simply broken?

Thank you in advance.

2. Supreme
    Administrator Staff Member
    March 17, 2018 at 12:38
    Try the following:

Close the wallet, delete everything from %appdata%\xtrabytes , open the wallet, settings / encrypt wallet (enter password etc), go to console

walletpassphrase YourPassword 120
    importprivkey YourPrivateKey

Wait for full sync.

3. Supreme
    Administrator Staff Member
    March 17, 2018 at 12:47
    Are you sure you sent XBY to this adress? "BDVteoM4zsJ4apGmLYJSb4L69U1jUe3zgG"?

Because adresses with balances are available in block explorer. Also, please double check your private key. Maybe your'r using the wrong key, with empty adress.

Do you have any other keys?

4. Eirik
    March 17, 2018 at 03:07
    I honestly don't remember. All I know is I have a text file with the private key and public address in it.
    I downloaded the installation for Xtrabytes wallet from official xtrabytes website, opened it, first thing I did was go into console and "importprivkey XXXXX wallet1"
    Then it gave the error: Error adding key to wallet (code -4)

I also had the same public address as in the text file added to the wallet, which when the blocks were synced up, was sadly empty.